- Senior Lecturer
- Director of Undergraduate Education
Main Office3033 Sweeney
Ames, IA 50011
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, 2007
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Bucknell University, 2001
Interest AreasResearch Interests
- Mechanism and kinetics of controlled polymerizations in heterogeneous media
- Relationship between molecular architecture and phase behavior and microstructure of polymeric amphiphiles in solutions
- Ch E 160, Ch E Problems with Computer Applications (Sections A, C, D, E)
- Ch E 205
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- U.S. Department of Energy Early Career Research Award, 2010
Selected PublicationsSelected Recent Publications
- Heinen, J., Blom, A., Hawkett, B., Warr, G. "Phase Behavior of Amphiphilic Diblock Co-Oligomers with Nonionic and Ionic Hydrophilic Groups, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117 (10) p. 3005-3018 (2013).
- O'Donnell, J. "Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Transfer in Microemulsion," Chemical Society Reviews, 41 (8), p. 3061-3076 (2012)(Invited).
- O'Donnell, J., and Kaler, E. W. "Polymer Nanoparticles by Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer Microemulsive Polymerization," Advanced Polymer Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Surface Modifications, p. 133-167 (2011).
- O’Donnell, J., and Kaler, E. W. "Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer in Microemulsion Polymerizations: Effect of Chain Transfer Agent Aqueous Solubility," Macromolecules, 43 (4), p. 1730-1738 (2010) http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ma901924n
- O’Donnell, J., and Kaler, E. W. "Kinetic Model of Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer Polymerization in Microemulsions," Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 48 (3), p. 604-613 (2010) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pola.23811
- O’Donnell, J., and Kaler, E. W. "Microstructure Evolution and Monomer Partitioning in Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer Microemulsion Polymerization," Macromolecules, 41 (16), p. 6094-6099 (2008) http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ma8004923
- O’Donnell, J., and Kaler, E. W.* "Microstructure, Kinetics, and Transport in Oil-in-Water Microemulsion Polymerizations," Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 28 (14), p. 1445-1454, (2007) (Invited) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/marc.200700055