Faculty, students and graduates of Iowa State University’s Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering impact the world in countless ways – with work involving consumer products, fuels, biorenewable energy, medical and health care advancements and much more – incorporating the disciplines of engineering, math and chemistry. The undergraduate curriculum can also be used as a springboard to medical school or law school. An internationally recognized program, CBE at Iowa State continues to grow and uphold a strong tradition in the College of Engineering and Iowa State University.
Welcome to the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) at Iowa State University
Bissell Road closed in Sweeney Hall area March 12-August 10. See more under Chemical and Biological Engineering News.
AIChE Pizza Sales Mondays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Sweeney Hall lobby. Pizza $1.50/slice, soda $1. Help support ISU’s AIChE student chapter.
- Monday-Thursday: 6 a.m. – midnight
- Friday: 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Sunday: 8 a.m.-midnight
ISU engineers progress toward making bioderived products with renewable electricity
Iowa State engineers in the research group of Dr. Wenzhen Li are exploring new approaches to produce biobased chemicals and fuels through electrochemistry.
CBE Points of Pride
Undergraduate enrollment has increased more than 100% since 2008.
One of the highest female student enrollments in the College of Engineering
CBE B.S. undergrad average starting salary nearly $70,000/yr.
- Biomaterials research at Iowa State searches to find solutions to control tumor growth and boost tissue regeneration April 20, 2018
- Chemical engineering graduate students shine with Research/Teaching Excellence Awards April 20, 2018
- CoE research project aims to develop bio-based carbon fiber April 19, 2018
- Graduate Seminar Series - Kristala L. Jones Prather
April 26, 2018
- CBE Pre-Commencement Reception
May 5, 2018