- Herbert L. Stiles Associate Professor
Main Office2033 Sweeney
Ames, IA 50011-2230
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Harvard University, 2006
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China, 2001
- Advanced Nanomaterials Synthesis and Characterization
- Nanostructured Materials for Waste Heat Recovery and Solid-State Cooling Through Thermoelectric Effect
- Nanostructured Phase Transition Materials for Energy Storage
- Two-Dimensional Nanomaterials for Thermal Interface
Research ProjectsOur group addresses the challenges in broadly-defined bulk nanostructured composite materials. Our highly interdisciplinary research program includes the design, synthesis, characterization, assembly, and sintering of nanostructured materials; elucidation of the fundamental electronic, thermal, magnetic, mechanical, and other physical properties of these bulk nanocomposite materials; and exploration of new applications towards the highly-efficient harvest, storage, manipulation, and conversion of thermal energy. For details, please visit our group’s website here.
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Miller Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley 2006-2009
- DuPont Young Professor Award, 2010
- Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- One of the two invited speakers from United States (totally ten worldwide) for Japan Nano 2013 sponsored by Japan National Institute of Materials Sciences and Japan Ministry of Education, 2013
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Gold Award, 2005
- "2014 Emerging Investigators," selected by Journal of Materials Chemistry A (Materials for Energy and Sustainability) to recognize the very best work from materials chemists in the early stages of their independent career.
- “Rising Star” selected by U.S. Council of Chemical Research, 2015.
- Nanoscale Science and Engineering Forum Young Investigator Award from American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2016.
- 2009-2014; Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, Purdue University (received an early promotion to tenured associate professor in April 2014).
- 2006-2009; Miller Research Fellow, University of California at Berkeley.
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Materials Research Society
- Yang, Haoran; Finefrock, Scott W.; Caballero, Jonatan D. Albarracin; Wu, Yue* “Environmentally benign synthesis of ultra-thin metal telluride nanowires”, Journal of American Chemical Society, 2014, 136, 10242-10245.
- Yang, Haoran; Bahk, Je-Hyeong; Day, Tristan; Mohammed, Amr M. S.; Min, Bokki; Snyder, G. Jeffrey; Shakouri, Ali; Wu, Yue* “Composition Modulation of Ag2Te Nanowires for Tunable Electrical and Thermal Properties”, Nano Letters, 2014, 14, 5398-5404.
- Finefrock, Scott W.; Wu, Yue* “Inorganic Nanostructured Composite-based Thermoelectrics”, invited review for Volume 6 of the Annual Review of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, 2015, 6, 247-266.
- Yang, Haoran; Bahk, Je-Hyeong; Day, Tristan; Mohammed, Amr M. S.; Snyder, G. Jeffrey; Shakouri, Ali; Wu, Yue* “Enhanced Thermoelectric Properties in Bulk Nanowire Heterostructure-Based Nanocomposites through Minority Carrier Blocking”, Nano Letters, 2015, 15, 1349-1355.
- Sun, Yanming; Fang, Haiyu; Pan, Lujun; Han, Meng; Xu, Shen; Wang, Xinwei; Wu, Yue* “Impact of Surface-Bound Small Molecules on the Thermoelectric Property of Self-Assembled Ag2Te Nanocrystal Thin Films", Nano Letters, 2015, 15, 3748-3756.
- Xu,Biao; Li, Haoyi; Yang, Hao; Xiang, Wentian; Zhou, Gang; Wu, Yue*; Wang, Xun* “Colloidal 2D-0D lateral Nanoheterostructures: a Case Study of Site-Selective Growth of CdS Nanodots onto Bi2Se3 Nanosheets”, Nano Letters, 2015, 15, 4200-4205.
- Lee, Jaewon; Zhu, Huazhang; Yadav, Gautam; Caruthers, James; Wu, Yue* “Porous Ternary Complex Metal Oxide Nanoparticles Converted from Core/Shell Nanoparticles”, Nano Research, 2016, 4, 996-1004. Selected as Paper of the Month Prize.
- Biao Xu, Matthias T. Agne, Tianli Feng, Thomas C. Chasapis, Xiulin Ruan, Yilong Zhou, Haimei Zheng, Je-Hyeong Bahk, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, Gerald Jeffrey Snyder, Yue Wu,* "Nanocomposites from Solution-Synthesized PbTe-BiSbTe Nanoheterostructure with Unity Figure of Merit at Low-Medium Temperatures (500–600 K), " Advanced Materials, Vol. 29, Issue 3, January 25, 2017. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adma.201605140/full
- Dr. Biao Xu, Tianli Feng, Matthias T. Agne, Prof. Dr. Lin Zhou, Prof. Dr. Xiulin Ruan, Prof. Dr. G. Jeffrey Snyder, Prof. Dr. Yue Wu,* "Highly Porous Thermoelectric Nanocomposites with Low Thermal Conductivity and High Figure of Merit from Large-Scale Solution-Synthesized Bi2Te2.5Se0.5 Hollow Nanostructures," Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 56, Issue 6, February 1, 2017. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201612041/full