Faculty, students and graduates of Iowa State University’s Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering impact the world in countless ways – with work involving consumer products, fuels, biorenewable energy, medical and health care advancements and much more – incorporating the disciplines of engineering, math and chemistry. The undergraduate curriculum can also be used as a springboard to medical school or law school. An internationally recognized program, CBE at Iowa State continues to grow and uphold a strong tradition in the College of Engineering and Iowa State University.
Welcome to the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) at Iowa State University
Sweeney Hall Regular Building Hours
Regular building hours 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday, closed Saturday & Sunday.
CBE Main Office Hours
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
Student Advising Office
The CBE student advising office is open for in-person meetings by appointment. Students can choose to meet with their advisor by phone, video, or in-person. Please use the Navigate Student app to schedule an appointment with your advisor.
What Is Chemical Engineering?
Thinking about studying chemical engineering at Iowa State? Wondering what chemical engineers do? Check out this video of how chemical engineers impact everyone’s life, as told by our students.
CBE Points of Pride
Female enrollment: 35% undergraduate students, 33% graduate students – some of the largest enrollments in the College of Engineering (fall 2022)
Fall 2022 graduating class 45% female
CBE B.S. undergraduate average starting salary $73,000/yr.
Newsletter – 2022
View on ISSUU
- Honoring excellence: Cyclone Engineering faculty and staff award winners, named faculty positions and new patents
- Yue Wu named to collaboration role with Office of Vice President for Research
- Iowa State researchers receive 2023 Barry Award to investigate cellular structure of pancreatic cancer tumors, improve treatment outcomes
- Honoring excellence: Cyclone Engineering faculty and staff award winners, named faculty positions and new patents September 7, 2023
- Yue Wu named to collaboration role with Office of Vice President for Research August 9, 2023
- Iowa State researchers receive 2023 Barry Award to investigate cellular structure of pancreatic cancer tumors, improve treatment outcomes August 9, 2023
- Building green fertilizer system to reuse waste and cut greenhouse gas emissions August 7, 2023
- Nigel Reuel named Stanley Chair in Interdisciplinary Engineering June 15, 2023