- 30 graduate level credits
- NO thesis required
- Of 30 credits, 20 credits must be coursework, including:
- CH E 545, CH E 554, CH E 583, CH E 587 (choose at least two courses)
- Teaching practicum (CH E 698A and 1 semester of CH E 698B)
- Of 30 credits, up to 6 credits can be a creative component (CH E 599)
- If you choose a creative component, develop student advisory Program of Study (POS) Committee (one major professor and two additional faculty members, of which one is in CBE department)
- More information on CBE graduate programs and procedures can be found in the 2016-2017 CBE Graduate Handbook
How to Apply
1. Fill out graduate college application.
- To be admitted for fall semester, application is due January 15 of that calendar year
- International applications for the fall semester that arrive at the University after April 1 will be asked to delay their admission until the spring semester.
- To be admitted for spring semester, application is due August 15 of prior calendar year
- International applications for the spring semester that arrive at the university after October 1 will be asked to delay their admission until the next fall semester
- The admission process may take several months
- English Proficiency Minimum: TOEFL Paper (PBT) – 587; TOEFL Internet (iBT) – 94; IELTS – 7.0
- GRE Required
- For more information, request an e-brochure from the Iowa State University Graduate College
2. If you don’t submit online, send complete application form, application fee, school transcripts and both TOEFL and GRE scores to:
Graduate Admissions Office Iowa State University 100 Enrollment Services Ames, IA 50011-2011
3. If you don’t submit online, send three (3) letters of recommendation to:
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering Iowa State University 2114 Sweeney Hall Ames, IA 50011-2230
Things You Should Know
A graduate applicant should preferably have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemical engineering or chemistry. An applicant with records or scores that meet or exceed application guidelines listed above are not guaranteed admission. Financial aid is usually considered only after an applicant is admitted to Iowa State University.
For materials sent to Graduate Admissions Office, contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 515 294-5836 or toll free at 800 262-3810. You may also email them at email@example.com. You can check the status of your graduate application through the Graduate Admissions Office or fill out this form. Iowa State cannot process an application until it is complete, so please make sure the university has received all the materials for your application. For materials sent to Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, email Bellinda Hegelheimer or call her at 515 294-1660.